If you are a truck driver, you may need to have a valid certificate from the Department of Transportation (DOT). There are a few types of drivers who would need to pass a physical exam to receive their certification.
- Anyone who operates a commercial vehicle that weighs at least 10,001 pounds locally or crosses state lines.
- Anyone who drives a vehicle that carries 9 to 15 passengers locally or crosses state lines.
- Anyone who transports hazardous materials, in certain quantities.
Contact our certified DOT examiner at Redding D.O.T. in Redding if you need to have a DOT exam.
What Is the Purpose Of a DOT Physical?
The purpose of DOT physical is to check that you are healthy enough to drive for long hours, that you can handle long, exhausting schedules, and to see if you can handle the stress of operating a commercial vehicle. If you are not mentally or physically prepared to be on the road, you can be a danger to yourself and others.
What Is Involved In a DOT Physical?
There are a number of things involved in a DOT physical.
- Medical history: Our DOT examiner, Dr. Donovan Hutchings, will take a complete medical history. He will need to know what kind of medications you are taking and what medical conditions you had previously or is still suffering from. It is essential that you answer all of the questions honestly. If it is discovered that you failed to disclose a condition or a medication, your DOT certificate can be revoked.
- Physical exam: Next, Dr. Hutchings will perform a physical exam. He will check your heart and lung function by listening with a stethoscope. He will also check your blood pressure, hearing, vision, and coordination.
- Urinalysis: Our doctor is going to need to perform a urinalysis test. This test is performed to check for drug use and to check your glucose levels.
What If I Fail My DOT Exam?
If you fail your DOT exam, you will not receive your certification. However, there are certain circumstances where you might be eligible for an exemption program. Diabetes, vision issues, hearing problems, and certain disabilities could qualify. Our doctor would be able to give you information regarding the exemption program.
How Often Do I Need a DOT Physical?
In most cases, DOT physicals are required every two years. If you suffer from a health issue that can affect your ability to drive, you would be required to have a physical every year. If your health condition is serious, the Department of Transportation would require you to have an exam every three months.
Sitting behind the wheel all day can result in neck and back pain, shoulder pain, muscle strains, and headaches. At Redding D.O.T. in Redding, CA, our DOT examiner can pinpoint the cause of your pain and provide solutions to help relieve your pain. Through chiropractic care, exercise, massage, and lifestyle and nutrition counseling, we can help you get behind the wheel every day, free from pain. If you need chiropractic care or need a DOT examination, call our staff at (530) 221-4991. We are more than happy to answer any questions that you may have about the DOT exam and our chiropractic services.