Back pain is a major problem for class A drivers. Most truck drivers experience job-related back pain at least occasionally, and some drivers find that the pain never really goes away. Whether you are already dealing with chronic back pain or you'd like to take some preventative steps to avoid it, Redding D.O.T. can help. Dr. Donovan Hutchings, our doctor of chiropractic, can give you your bi-annual DOT exam and address the root causes of your back pain through chiropractic adjustments and holistic care.
Why Do Class A Drivers Experience Back Pain So Frequently?
When you drive a truck or another large vehicle for a living, your spine can take a figurative beating. For starters, the job requires you to sit down for much of the day. This is bad for your spine in a couple of ways:
- It encourages you to slouch, which puts pressure on your spinal joints while straining the muscles and ligaments in your back.
- It compresses the bones of your spine over time, which can lead to pain, stiffness, and limited range of motion.
Drivers are also at risk for pinched nerves, especially sciatica. In fact, some truck drivers get sciatica just from sitting down all day, even if their spine itself is fine. That's because the sciatic nerve runs from the lower back through each buttock and down the back of each leg. Sitting in a vibrating vehicle for long stretches of time can pinch the nerve in the buttock region, leading to pain in the legs and the lower back.
How Can A DOT Examiner Help with Back Pain?
Your Redding DOT examiner can help you manage driving-related back pain through chiropractic care, massage therapy, and corrective exercises. Dr. Hutchings specializes in providing care for class A drivers, and he's familiar with the types of back injuries that often plague those who spend a lot of time on the road. When you visit our clinic, Dr. Hutchings will evaluate you and decide on the appropriate treatments, which may include:
- Hands-on chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractic adjustments straighten out any misalignments in your spine, which can help you stay comfortable and pain-free for years as a driver.
- Therapeutic massage. This relieves pain by releasing muscle tension and boosting blood flow to any parts of your back that have been injured or strained.
- Physical therapy exercises to strengthen your back and reduce your risk of future injury.
Let Redding D.O.T. Help You Keep Your Back Healthy on the Road
Whether you need your bi-annual DOT exam or you're simply looking for a solution to your back pain, Dr. Hutchings at Redding D.O.T. can help. Call 530-221-4991 today to schedule your appointment with a Redding chiropractor.